December 22, 2008

Keleigh Reese Petersen is here!!!

My First Photo
She came about 9 days before her due date! Sarah got sick on Saturday the 20th and started throwing up, she had been having trouble for a couple of days before that and not feeling well but then she couldn't keep anything down and got very dehydrated and contractions started and this time they were real! So we took her to the hospital and they started IV's and then about 6pm her water was broken and even though she was really sick the baby was doing well so we progressed through the night slowly and in the wee hours of the morning we talked Sarah into an epidural. She had a couple of setbacks in her progression but then finally got to a nine although it had been 24 hours since her water broke and she was completely exhausted so the doctor checked her and said it was best because of the baby's position that a c-section be done for Sarah and the baby! Sarah was so disappointed she had wanted a natural delivery and I know if she had been feeling well she could have done it without pain meds but she was so so sick. She had a little time to adjust to the idea (about a half hour) and then they came in and got her ready for the section. I got to suit up and go with her into surgery, it was the hardest thing I've ever done to witness them cutting my sweet baby open, to deliver her sweet baby. I was nervous watching Sarah shake so badly her teeth were chattering! It was a tearful moment for me when Keleighs head made her appearance (and was covered in dark hair and lots of it!). I heard her first little noises and knew she was here! Then the rest of her was presented to us and she was beautiful! I have witnessed the births of 4 of my grandchildren but never by c-section (even though Sarah herself made her entrance to the world by c-section) and the miracle of birth is still a miracle even when it has to have help! Sarah insisted I go with the baby and not take my eyes off her, I had a hard time leaving Sarah and was very torn to do so but Sarah was insistent. I was shaking and nervous and excited watching the nurses work on Keleigh and wondering how Sarah was doing. The nurses were so helpful explaining everything they were doing as we went along. Keleigh ended up in the NICU in about 12 hours after her birth because she contracted some infection and her white count soared and she was not responsive. I am thrilled to report she was there until Christmas Day and we got to bring both Sarah and Keleigh home, what a wonderful Christmas gift, my two healthy babies! I love them so much and am thrilled they are both doing well, I've gotten a bit overprotective in the process but I'm sure that's ok, right? The following are a only a few of the pictures from the 6 days at Davis Hospital!










No comments: